Reasons to choose a PIM
Product Information Management ( PIM ) is the software to store, enrich and distribute all product information. The PIM is required when a company:
- It markets and sells its products through different channels, so product information (e.g. dimensions, images) must be tailored to the requirements of a particular channel.
- Sells in various geographic locations and in a multilingual environment.
- Frequently updates the product range.
- Store product information in multiple formats and want to release ready-to-market products faster.
- It wants to speed up the hiring of new suppliers / product manufacturers.
- Work with advanced technical data such as functional specifications, 3D models, product configurators, measurements and more.
The advantages of integrating a PIM / DAM
By implementing PIM and DAM systems for different companies, DF Solution ensures you cover the following features.
- Importing data via common file formats: CSV and XLSX.
- Configurable import connector that allows you to set filters for imported products.
- Search product data by attributes.
- Pre-built APIs to connect to the distribution channels of the most popular products: e-commerce platforms (eg Magento Adobe Commerce), online marketplaces (eg Google Shopping).
- Classification and creation of custom product attributes.
- Management of product families (products that share the same attributes).
- Collective actions on products: adding attributes, changing family, etc.
- Management of advanced product data (eg 3D product models).
- Collaboration on product data (co-editing, approval workflow).
- Ability to add product associations: upsell, cross-sell, bundle.
- Rule engine to trigger automated actions from pre-set conditions (for example, to assign attributes to newly created products).
- Data completeness bar in product modules.
- Aggregate analyzes on the overall quality of the data.
- Spell check, uppercase and lowercase formatting.
- Aggregate analyzes on the overall quality of the data.
- Versioning and the ability to restore data to the previous version.
- Roles and user groups.
- Group specific permissions (view and edit).
- User activity dashboard.
- Ability to set a language and time zone for each user.
Architecture and data flows in a PIM solution
At DF Solution, we determine the role of the PIM as an intermediary between different sources of product data and product distribution channels. By setting up API-based integrations within the resulting environment, we greatly accelerate data transfer.
They provide the main information about the product. The information can be created by several team members and is converted to a common format in PIM.
Provides information such as product prices and stock. Updates reflected in real-time sales and marketing channels rule out the possibility of showing customers incorrect product data.
Contains rules for checking the completeness of product data and sending it to the required distribution channel.
Distribution channels for digital and non-digital products use a single consistent version of product data.
How to get added value from a PIM / DAM?
DF Solution sees the highest demand for technology-based product content management among manufacturers and retailers dealing with consumer staples and high-tech goods. We explain what features it is important to have to see the highest ROI from PIM implementation .
When a company works with multiple vendors and manages over 100,000 SKUs, the risk of inconsistent, duplicate, or incorrect product data is high. Choose a PIM solution that not only serves as an internal system but offers the possibility of implementing the supplier portal. There, suppliers will submit information about their products in line with the standards you specify. Your team will be relieved of manually submitting information and confined to the control function.
Industrial product descriptions require less creativity and more technical accuracy. Therefore, it is typical of manufacturing companies to hire a few experts, often from different production units, for the realization of the materials of the products. Automated validation workflows will help organize a consistent process where each collaborator knows their role and instantly informs others when their part is completed. As a result, teamwork is quick and productive.
Tips for using a PIM / DAM
Our team will help you set up effective product information management with a positive impact on your product onboarding, enrichment and distribution processes.
You will need to store both textual information and digital assets to consolidate product data. At the beginning of the PIM software research and selection phase, you decide whether to choose one with an integrated DAM module or integrate a third-party DAM solution separately. With the second option, you can find an optimal balance between functionality and cost.
If you launch a PIM supplier portal, it creates templates for different types of products so that the information provided by suppliers is product-specific and comprehensive. Models are likely to be related to product families in PIM.
Use shared catalogs to convert product information into an easy-to-use view and collaborate effectively with external (for example, distribution partners) and internal (for example, sales) teams.
Integrate PIM with your page layout design and printing software if you need to create non-digital product materials such as product catalogs, brochures, and flyers.
As a rule, PIM software doesn’t offer A / B testing but you can integrate a third-party testing tool to be able to try out different ways to present products and go with the best-selling one.
Implementation cost and ROI
From our practice, we can estimate an average PIM implementation cost of 50K to 75K. Most commonly, the figure includes an initial analysis phase (business, specific and functional analysis), implementation of the main functionalities, key integrations. The cost varies according to business needs and the number of integrations.
Companies that choose PIM see ROI from:
Faster time to market for new products (time savings can range from 24 hours to 15 minutes).
Increased conversions and reduced returns thanks to better product descriptions.
Increase in sales if multiple marketing / sales channels are implemented.
Il miglior PIM/DAM
DF Solution’s short list of the best product information management software is based on our practice. We have selected Akeneo and Pimcore as the most feature-rich and user-friendly PIM platforms .
Open source software based on PHP with API first architecture. Offers a native publishing module to create print materials. It consistently ranks among the top PIM vendors in the annual assessments of Forrester, IDC and other market researchers. It serves more than 100,000 companies in 56 countries.
PHP-based open source software with Onboarder add-on modules (to implement vendor self-service portals), Shared Catalogs (to aggregate and share product catalogs) and Syndication (to distribute product data across channels). Refer 80,000+ downloads of the free Community Edition.